Monday, February 1, 2010

Grace Volunteers in Chile!

WHAT: I am volunteering in Chile to co-teach school-aged children English!

I will be creating fun extracurricular activities for the children and the community to help foster their speaking and listening skills.

I will be living with a Chilean host family and be immersed in the Chilean culture.

WHEN: March-December 2010

WHERE: suburb or rural town outside of Valparaíso , Chile


HOW YOU CAN HELP: Click Here!


WHY: My initial interest to visit Chile came from making friends with an occupational therapist from Chile who volunteered at my workplace a couple of years ago. While practicing English with her and inviting her to do various activities around Los Angeles, I learned more about the Chilean culture and became intrigued by it.

I have always wanted to go study, work, or volunteer abroad since college but never was able to. Volunteering abroad offers the chance to help those in countries with less opportunities and resources that we have here in the United States. Now I am presented with the chance to volunteer abroad through WORLDTEACH to make a difference in an under served community.

Although I don't have formal training in education, I have something different to bring into the classroom setting. Having worked as an occupational therapist with children with special needs for 5 years and having collaborated with families, teachers, and health professionals, I now have more skills and knowledge than before to contribute as an international volunteer.



Check me out at work:

http://pasadenachilddevelopment.org/stories.html

http://pasadenachilddevelopment.org/staff/StaffGraceChen.html


I want to get my students, host family, and community motivated to learn English. I hope to incorporate their cultural background into the academic curriculum and share some aspects of my American-Taiwanese background to increase intercultural understanding and development. In addition, I also hope to improve my Spanish language skills so that I may better serve the Spanish speaking population for my work as an occupational therapist.

I am grateful to have loving friends and family. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have been given to go to college, earn a degree that led to a good profession where I could help others and live comfortably, and enjoy all that our country has to offer. Now I would like to start giving back especially to those who don’t have the same opportunities that I had.



2 comments:

  1. Grace, you are amazing! I really admire you compassion and courage to volunteer in another country. I hope that it is as amazing or more than you hope. We need more Graces in the world! You will be missed but just know that we all support you. I will do my part to help you reach your financial goal as well. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll have a blast cuz. If my experience can be any guide, be flexible, be patient and keep trying new things.
    Knowing you, I dont think that will be hard for you ...except maybe the "patient" part hahah ;)
    If you want to talk ESL activities or ideas let me know! ESOD (Every Situation is Different) however so you'll likely need to get to know what kind of schools and teachers you will be working with.

    ReplyDelete