For 2 weeks, I waited for my bananas to ripen. Mi cachito (papa) put them in a paper bag and I placed them in front of the window, but it was a SLLLOOOWWW process. Next time, I will have to remember to put an apple in the bag too.
Another volunteer, Melissa, helped me make the banana bread. It came out tasty AND I was pleasantly surprised to see a note stuck to my bread (from mi mama) in the morning.
**"Rico"- In Chile, anything can be Rico such as men, perfume, jewelry, clothes, etc.
Thursday- Cueca Lessons
Some of the other volunteers who also lived in Villa Alemana, Quilpue, and Limache came which was great to hang out with them for a while. Who knew there were 7 volunteer teachers just in Villa Alemana!?!
This week we practiced the whole choreographed piece. The girls learned how to twirl and flirt with their handkerchiefs AND the guys learned how NOT to look too girly while they waved the handkerchiefs around.
Friday- Parade through el centro en Villa Alemana
I walked with Melissa to downtown Villa Alemana for some exercise. It was a nice 25 minute walk. We enjoyed the free outdoor workout machines (spread throughout the 5th region). We saw a parade of children, teenagers, and adults in their cars, by foot, and by horse shouting 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's with peace signs painted on their faces as well as "Drugs, Sex, and Alcohol" written on one car. It was very random but interesting to see. We were not sure if the parade is a pre-celebration for the Bicenentario that is coming up.
Friday Night- Knitting Party
So I had a goal of finishing 1 sleeve for my sweater wrap this weekend. My aunt, mi mama, and I knitted away while my sister did homework and my niece played on my netbook.
Saturday- Sandboarding and Seafood in Con Con.
We took a 20 minute micro ride from downtown Vina Del Mar to Con Con. We told them we wanted to go to "las dunas". We rented our sleds, sandboards, and wax for 500CLP ($1) per 1/2 hour.
I was so happy to see that everyone was able to hike up the steep sand dune without an asthma attack!
The view was gorgeous once to the top, but it was quite windy that day.
Although I did not gain as much distance and speed as the time I had sandboarded in Oregon, I was also a little apprehensive to go too far since there were trees, a highway, then the ocean below the dunes. But perhaps I will got farther next time.
Some volunteers also became quite competitive. Katie and I did not go as fast, but we did go farther on our sled as we attempted to race Roman and Jen down the
dune.
Although I did not gain as much distance and speed as the time I had sandboarded in Oregon, I was also a little apprehensive to go too far since there were trees, a highway, then the ocean below the dunes. But perhaps I will got farther next time.
Some volunteers also became quite competitive. Katie and I did not go as fast, but we did go farther on our sled as we attempted to race Roman and Jen down the
dune.
We had sand from head to toe. I sat down to zip my convertible pant legs back on while other volunteers tried to shake the sand out of their hair. One girl grew a sand beard after we sandboarded. A plop of sand fell onto the toilet and in the stall when I went to used the restroom.
All in all, we agreed that it was a beautiful day and we had lots of fun sledding and sandboarding down the dunes in Con Con.
Seafood at "La Pica de Martin"
It is a 25 minute walk from the sand dunes to get to this local seafood restaurant. Walk downhill and make a left at the signal on the street. It will be on your right hand side with a red sign.
I don't recommend the albacore with lemon. It was a bit dry.
We had gone to "Los Portenos" in Valparaiso which was listed in Lonely Planet, but the seafood was not as fresh. It was also our first time eating a part of the crab that was STRONG and DISGUSTING in flavor. It was tough, chewy, and orange/red in color. It shot up my nose like Wasabi. I still don't know what part of the crab it is. IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THAT IS, PLEASE TELL ME!
All the local Chileans agree that if you want seafood, go to Con Con.
Sunday- Botanical Garden in Vina Del Maar
Roman and I met up with my friends and some of their friends, at the Botanical Garden for a free music concert. Who knew it was a 30 minute walk from Estacion El Salto. I didn't, but I was too impatient to wait for the micro. Because it's not quite spring time yet, the botanical garden is filled with mostly trees. There are some hiking trails go through some hills with forests.
No comments:
Post a Comment