Monday, September 6, 2010

School Lesson: "Days of the Week"- Week 4


This week's Lesson: Days of the Week

Agenda
1. Slang of The Week: "Wow!"

I gave examples like:

What if Michael Jackson is alive? "Wow!"

"Wow!" Those students are great Cueca dancers!

I drew a couple $1 million bills and threw them to the students and screamed "Wow! You all are rich! What are you going to do with your money?"
I had students say "go shopping, buy a car, buy a house, guitars", BUT I was so touched when one student said "World Peace".

2. Review: "Directions" from last week

3. Office Hours: Tuesdays, Thursdays 11:20-11:40am (during 2nd recess)

I explained to the students that they could come chat with me. They can ask me questions like "Does everyone go to the beach and surf in California?".
Of course, many of them nodded their heads and I had to tell them that only few people surfed and that the water is cold just like their local beach here.

During my first office hour, 6 girls came in to chat with me, but most were too shy to speak but wanted to learn more.

Tongue Twisters- I have also posted several tongue twisters on my walls such as "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!" and "She sells sea shells by the seashore" to help with their pronounciation.



According to my co-teacher, some students prefer NOT to use the "Sh" sound as they don't want to be associated with "flaites" who are kind of like thugs who dress in name brand clothing and use lots of slang.
They were wide-eyed when I recited the tongue twisters 3x fast.

I am happy that many of my students are trying to recite the tongue twisters on their own for fun.


A POEM


Grace's English Library- I brought (bought or donated) about 15 children books in English from USA. Even though my students are older than what I thought, I am hoping that I can interest them in borrowing my books to read such as "Amelia Bedelia", "Bernstein Bears", "If you Give a Mouse A Cookie", "Comic Books".

THANK YOU to those who donated books!



4. Days of the Week

-I drew an empty calendar for the week and asked the students to tell me what day came "before" and "after" Monday to practice those words and also to assess what days of the week knew already. They knew most of them except had troubles pronouncing "Tuesday", "Wednesday", and "Thursday".

-Then they were asked to recite 2 days at a time in consecutive order around the circle while I slowly erased the days off the board for increased memorization. Then in reverse order.

**Note: Students wondered why my calendar started on Sunday and NOT Monday. I told them that it depends on each country and often the religion that is practiced.

7th-10th grade

We sang the "Days of the Week" to the tune of Addams Family. The students were snapping their fingers even before I started to sing since I had a picture of a hand snapping. They told me that in Chile, the movie is called "Scary Addams". It was an easy song for them to pick up and they had lots of FUN!





"YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!"





11th grade

I played The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love" song.
-They then repeated each lyric after me while I acted it out. They repeated the action.
-We talked about what emotion the colors "blue", "gray", "black" depicted.
-I was so happy to see that they could figure out the meaning of the word "hesitate" from me acting it out.
-We then all sang the song together. Many of them had heard this song before so they ENJOYED singing it.

ACTING and SINGING "Friday I'm in Love"


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Grace!
    It's great to see you having fun and helping the students to have fun as they're learning! Keep it up!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AMY! I have fun when my students have fun! -Grace

    ReplyDelete