Only in Chile…
a. will someone ask me if I want to eat “calzones roto” (broken underwear).
b. is everything “rico” (i.e. shoes are rico, perfume is rico, men are rico, music is rico).
You can never have enough Chilenismos…
1. hacer una vaca
2. pajerro
3. la raja
What I’ll miss most about Chile is…
a. the beautiful scenic views of the ocean and the colorful houses that dot the hills
b. my Chilean parents who are clever, creative and crafty with their hands.
The Chile Bucket List - Must dos while in Chile
1. Learn to dance cueca
2. Take the metro from Estacion Limache to Estaction Puerto (one end to another) for the awesome views.
3. Sandboard and sled down the sand dunes in Con Con
4. Order a Marisco Chupe
5. Visit Pablo Neruda’s homes
Then & Now - List some things that you thought or did as a newbie in the country that has now changed after living here and write that change next to it.
a. Then: I thought most people in Chile would be conservative.
Now: The younger generation (20s-30s) consider males and females to be equals as both genders now work outside of the home and it is not rare for the woman to be the dominant decision maker regardless of their age. In addition, types of relationships vary greatly by being in non-exclusive relationships to having serious relationships, being separated to being divorced, being remarried or just living with a partner due to not wanting to remarry.
b. Then: I thought eating healthy would be difficult.
Now: I can buy various familiar foods in the suburbs and cities that help me maintain a diet of fruits, vegetables, fiber, and whole grains.
Student Quips - Interview your students about their experience with their volunteer. You can ask how they feel about you, your lessons, volunteers in general, the weather, anything you like! Send in your favorite quotes from them!
a. “See ya? Miss, do you mean silla? (while pointing at the chairs in class)”
b. “Miss Grace! Miss Grace!” (students trying to get my attention while they are in P.E. class) “AWESOME!” (they yell across the school while sticking two thumbs up the way I had showed them when I taught the slang to them)
c. “Miss, we liked the Hokey Pokey and the Slide hand game.” – English Club (Whew…and I thought my students might have thought that the games were too childish)
ALSO, my director put this video as well as many other videos that might answer some of your questions about volunteering in Chile. I'm featured in this one =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhtHg0Nf404
No comments:
Post a Comment