We went to what may be our schools that we’re teaching at. Melissa and I ended up at the same one, Maria Isabel School. This was a very small school with probably only 130 students (1st-8th) with a play group (3-year-olds). We were introduced during the 6th and 7th grade English classes and the students were very interested in what music we liked, what national dance do Americans dance (they all know cueca in Chile) but they learned that we don’t have on, what types of iPhones do we use, if we knew about a program in the US that generates earthquakes for research, where have we traveled, and if we have found Spanish to be difficult to learn in Chile. We found out that they like various music and dances (i.e. reggaton like Daddy Yankee, reggae, salsa, romantic music, Bon Jovi, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana, Lady Gaga).
They also love Harry Potter and Twilight (one 5th grader exclaimed that she liked Edward Cullin).
We also went to another school, La Pampilla, which is the largest and newest school in Calle Larga with the most funding and has the most programs not just for the students, but the community too. This Friday, they have BINGO for the students and the families after school.
The students have been SOOO sweet! One 7th grade student asked the teacher how to say "I have a present for you" and gave me an orange after class. Another came up to me with a beautifully drawn picture of a pink tulip and gave me a beso before class even started. Of course, there were a few class clowns in each class by talking out loud, passing notes, drawing instead of doing their work, but some of them were also the most motivated to repeat our words in English and with great pronunciation too!
Because we must've introduced ourselves to 4 classrooms and were formally introduced during a mass assembly at both schools, I must've said that I would like to learn cueca and play soccer about 6 times. Therefore, the students have asked at recess if I would like to play soccer. And so I did. I pulled Roman to play too. Unfortunately, it was a lopsided game having 6 girls versus 15 boys. Score: Girls 0- Boys 6 Oh well, maybe next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment