Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 2: Friends, Food, & Family

1. I got to Skype with some of my friends back in California! Thanks friends!

2. Cueca Lessons- A group of us met at Elizabeth's house for cueca lesson #2. We completed a choreographed dance, but had to work on technique. I can't figure out if I should be walking, jogging, or pretend limping around my partner. But I left the house with sore hips and legs!

3. Nut Kiss- My friends had been raving about this cookie not only because of it's funny name, but because it's supposedly pretty tasty. It's a chocolate cookie with peanuts. It was good, but still not as good as Gran Cereal and the mango & pineapple flavored Tuareg cookies.



4. Hanging out with the gals Friday & Saturday- I was so happy to hear that our new friend, from Calle Larga was going to be able to hang out with us Friday night. We (5 gringas and 4 Chilenas) hung out at a local bar in Valpo and then went to El Huevo (a pretty well known club in Valpo) for a night of dancing until 2:30/3:30am. It closes at 6am, but I think we're still trying to get used to being out later than usual. The club had 4 different rooms with different music (Reggaton, American and Spanish Pop, Rock, Salsa). We had lots of fun dancing though I think some of our Chilean friends thought some of us were a bit crazy (cough cough.. not me though).
The gals also had lots of fun with the salsa lesson.
All of the volunteers thought it was awesome that our 4 Chilean friends all got along well and had fun that night since most of them did not know each other. I think they had fun watching how we danced and sang with the songs that we knew similarly to what they do too.

Unfortunately, one of the girls had her purse stolen when she was about to get on the micro. Thankfully I did not carry a purse that night knowing that Valpo is known for thievery. I also got a ride from my friend.

5. Squeezed fresh OJ- I helped make breakfast with my friend from Calle Larga and her mom. It was great to practice my Spanish with them as well as correcting my friend's English as she would like to try to get a scholarship to go to a college in Canada.

**It is VERY difficult for Chileans to get a visa even if it is just to vacation in the US. Most visa applications get denied as the government thinks that Chileans will try to stay in the US to look for work. The reciprocity fee is expensive ($140 for us to enter Chile) as it is the same for them to enter the US. They have to pay for the visa application too and show that they make a certain amount of income. Therefore, most Chileans do not have the desire to visit the US, but rather visit Europe. However, in general, most Chileans do not have the opportunity to travel much outside of Chile or even in Chile since Chile is such a loooonnng country geographically.

6. Interesting meals- Chileans eat a good amount of lentils. In fact, in the news, Santiago had a 1 day bean festival where they cooked and provided bean dishes for free.


I ate a bowl of lentil soup topped with beef and bacon with a side of avocado and freshly squeezed guava juice.



Papa's side of the family came to visit on Sunday. Usually, Chileans only have asados (BBQ) for special holidays or birthdays. However, his parents don't leave their house very much due to their declining health. Therefore, mama made several dishes including dessert. I baked my famous carrot-pineapple-walnut bread and cachito tended to the asado.


"It's READY! Where should I put the asado? "


Mmm.. yummy tender BBQ chicken, steak, cooked potato, beans with rice, celery, avocado, beet salad, and rice with peas and corn.

Their 2 house dogs would constantly try to beg for food during our meals by standing up on their hind legs and rest their paws on our chairs or our legs. I usually don't give them any food even if they are staring at me with their cute puppy eyes.
Here is my 2-year-old cousin, Nicholas, who attempts to carry our dog around the house. Both are adorable!

(Left to Right)- Cachito's parents who live next door to us but don't like leaving the comforts of their home, my auntie who lives in the cabin behind us, and my other auntie.

Even though we had a huge asado at 2pm, we still had our regular once at 5:30pm with tea, coffee, bread, avocado, deli meat, and cheese as well as a fruit wine meringue that my mama whipped up. (See Recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment