Monday, August 16, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Cazuela

I craved this soup when I was in Santiago. It's Chile's version of American Chicken Noodle Soup. They usually make it with rice, but I had it with pasta which was tasty. I asked mama if she would teach me how to make and so she did. I think she wants to test me as she told me that I can make it the next time. I wonder if she will get mad at me if I make it was pasta (instead of rice) and add more cilantro to it.

Carrots- 1/2 sliced, 1/2 shredded
Oregano and celery- place entire thing in
1 garlic (ajo)- shredded
onion (cebolla)- 1/2 shredded, 1/2 entire thing
oil- 2 tablespoons
cilantro- 1/5 cup chopped
1 sliced bell pepper (green, red, yellow pimenton)



Saute on low-medium heat in a pot (olla, cacerola)

Mix in chopped chicken.. some with skin


Add water and 2 Tbsp. salt
Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes

Then turn up heat. After soup boils (hervir, cocer), mix in the following:
Chop 2 corns (choclo)
Peel and 4 medium potatoes in half (papas)
Wash both corn and potatoes
Use equal amount of pumpkin (comote is a type of zapallo, DON't use italian squash)
as potato.
Green beans (poroto verde)

Add 2 small handfuls of rice (1/4 cup)


After water boils again, lower heat.
Should be ready after 5-10 mins.

HOWEVER, I bet that the soup will be much more flavorful if it sits overnight in the chicken juices!

AN ALTERNATE RECIPE (from my aunt Fanny):
Dice up carrots, parsley, onions, peppers, garlic and sautee.
Then sautee with chunks of beef.
Add water.
Boil, then lower to minimal to medium heat. Cook for 1 hour.
(If you can't fit the large chunks of pumpkin, potatoes, and corn in the pot then cook them in a separate pot.)
Put all ingredients together and serve!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment