This week I reviewed the slang and lessons from the previous week. As always, there is a clear difference between what the 7-9th graders and the 10-11th graders could remember. In general the 10-11th graders are also better behaved and less chatty so I don't have to spend as much time to quiet them down. However, some of the older students (i.e. 10th graders) tried to chew gum in my class and I think one boy swallowed it because I suspected that he was chewing gum when I clearly drew "NO FOOD" as one of my rules. I was a little disappointed that many of them had already forgotten the lesson and how to use the slang "What's Up?" and "How's it going?" from the previous week.
I didn't have school on Friday since the teachers at Colegio Nacional were obligated to help out with the 4th annual music festival/talent show which was from 8pm-11pm. I went to part of it and recognized some of my students while they sang English and Spanish songs.
(SEE BELOW- Hanging out with my 11th grade students at the Music Festival. However, most of them are still too shy to say anything other than "Hello Miss", "AWESOME!", or "What's Up?")
Hanging out with my co-teacher and student.
English Club
Even though I was a little worried about having 30 students sign up for English Club and felt badly that more students wanted to participate, only 15 students showed up for the first day of English Club. We started the class with Jackson 5's ABC/123 video. I then spent the next 45 minutes teaching them "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure:
1. Showed YouTube's Karaoke version of the song with lyrics
2. Passed out the lyrics
3. Acted out and read the lyrics while having the students repeat after me. Also had students draw pictures next to the lyrics to help them remember the lyrics
4. Had each student take turns to act out 2 lines of the lyrics
5. AND THEN ALL THE STUDENTS SANG THE SONG WITH ME!! SUCCESS!
I had the students help me brainstorm what they possibly wanted to do during English Club. (See Below- Music, Movies, Games that they know and like)
Cueca Lessons
We had our 3rd week of cueca lessons. We had forgotten the choreographed dance that our teacher taught us so we reviewed it with an emphasis on technique which we find surprisingly difficult. I always leave with sore hips while some other volunteers have sore legs.
Ryan and Steph
Our teachers, Carlos and Elizabeth
Btw, if anyone plans to visit me or Chile in general, Chile is celebrating its Bicentario (200th year of Independence) this year. It typically falls on September 18th, but there are parades, BBQs, traditional dancing all week long. I will have Thursday-Monday off AND my school will not have formal instruction on Wednesday, but rather will be participating in celebratory activities on Wednesday. Let me know if you'd like to visit. -GC
ReplyDelete